Recipe for Medium to Dark Roasts
Grind Size: Coarse
Water: 250ml at 93 Degrees C
Brew Time: 5.30 mins
STEP BY STEP:
- Grind 15.8 grams of coffee to a coarse size. Coarse ground coffee has a consistency similar to sea salt.
- At room temperature, the French Press will absorb the heat faster from the water. To keep it even and steady, preheat the press by pouring in some hot water and stirring it about. Remove the water after a bit.
- Add in the coffee and slowly pour a third of the water (83ml) in a spiral starting from the centre. Make sure all the grounds are evenly wet.
- Let the coffee brew like this for 30 seconds. You should see a lot of bubbles coming out right about now. This part of the brew is called the ‘bloom’
- Stir gently for about 10 seconds. Break the crust of coffee that’s formed at the top. Pretend it’s a creme brulee if that helps.
- Add in the rest of the water (167 ml). Slow and steady spirals really help. Remember: we're not trying to agitate the beans.
- Put the plunger on the top and let it sit so that the coffee can brew for 4 minutes.
- Slowly plunge the press down evenly. Once it reaches the bottom, pour your coffee out into a mug.
- And boom! You just brewed some dope coffee.